Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 30 lily pads
Cooking Time: 3 mins
You don’t have to be a frog to love these lily pads. They’re cute little pancakes packed with spinach and topped with cheese for protein. So hop to it and mix up some batter. This time it’s easy being green!
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- cheddar cheese
Step 1: Things you’ll need
- Gather these ingredients to make Oscar’s Leapin’ Lily Pads!
Step 2: Perfectly Green and Slimey
- Put the spinach in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off until the spinach is coarsely chopped. Add the eggs, butter, salt, sugar, and nutmeg. Process until combined.
Little Hands Tip: Count out each ingredient loud and proud
Step 3: No Lumps For This Grump
- Add the flour and process until combined. Add the milk and process until the batter is smooth.
Step 4: Oscar Likes Stinky Cheese
- In the meantime, lay the slices of cheese on a cutting board.
Cut out circles using a 1 and ½-inch cookie cutter. Save the scraps for another snack.
- Little Hands Tip: Name other things that are shaped like a circle.
Step 5: It’s Hot in Here
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush lightly with melted butter.
Step 6: Drizzle and Sizzle
- Drizzle the batter onto the skillet in circles about 2 inches in diameter.
Cook 1 minute or until the edges turn dull.
Step 7: Flip Out
- Flip each lily pad, then top as many as you wish with cheese.
Step 8: Messy Melt
- Cover and cook an additional 30 seconds or until the cheese melts.
Step 9: Leap Over to the Plate
- Remove the lily pads to a plate and repeat the steps with the remaining batter.
- Little Hands Tip: As you plate the lily pads, pretend you’re a frog and say, “Ribbit, ribbit!”
Step 10: Even Oscar is Smiling
- Now eat up and enjoy Oscar’s Leapin’ Lily Pads!