Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Say goodbye to the grouchies. A taste of this granola would put a smile even on Oscar!
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup coconut (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup freeze dried fruits
Step 1: Things you will need
- Gather together all the ingredients and any other optional items….whatever makes you happy…not grouchy!
Step 2: All hands in
- Mix together rolled oats, almonds, wheat germ, and coconut. Add oil and honey.
- Little Hands Tip: Use your hands to mix up the ingredients in a big bowl. (Make sure to wash hands well with soap and water first!) Ask your child to describe what the mixture feels like before and after you add the oil and honey.
Step 3: Spread the joy
- Spread mixture about 1/2 inch thick on two baking sheets with sides. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes or until mixture is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Little Hands Tip: Let your child help spread the mixture on the baking sheet. Ask them to predict what they think will happen to it in the oven. Will it change shape? Size? Color?
Step 4: Add the finishing touch
- After completely cool, transfer mix to a large bowl and add whatever freeze-dried fruit you like. Store in an air-tight container or plastic bag.
- Little Hands Tip: Let your child choose what freeze-dried fruit he’d like to add and mix it in (remember to wash hands again first!). Try to add a rainbow of different colored fruits.
Count how many colors he added!
Step 5: Get un-grouchy
- Pack up some granola to go and take a walk together. Fresh air, exercise, plus a healthy snack is a perfect recipe for feeling good.