Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 sandwiches
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
Does your child love a sloppy mess as much as Oscar? If so, this is one sloppy mess she won’t mind cleaning up!
- 1 lb of extra lean ground beef or vegetarian crumble
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- Whole grain hamburger buns
- ¼ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Light sour cream or light ranch dressing (optional)
Step 1: Get cooking
Brown ground beef or vegetarian crumble in a non-stick-frying pan. Add the diced onion and bell pepper
Step 2: Make a delicious mess
Add ketchup, mustard, Worchestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Little Hands Tip: Let your child to help out by combining the ketchup and mustard in a bowl first. Ask her what color will result when the red and yellow ingredients get mixed together
Step 3: Add the finishing touch
Spoon your “slop” onto a hamburger bun. Then pile on the fixings!
Step 4: Clean it up
Enjoy eating this messy, finger-licking good meal together. When you’re finished, clean up the table together.
Ask your child to collect and throw out all the dirty napkins or stack the plates for washing.